November 14, 2022
Jamaica Stock Exchange Limited (JSE), for the nine months ended September 30, 2022 recorded total revenue of $1.71 billion, a 16% increase compared to the $1.47 billion booked for the prior year’s similar period. While total revenue for the quarter amounted to $579.15 million (2021: $621.41 million). Of this:
- Cess income grew by 12% to $408.11 million relative to $366.02 million the previous year.
- Fee income grew by 18% to $1.20 billion to close the period, compared to 2021’s $1.02 billion.
- E-campus decreased to $29.34 million, relative to $30.66 million in 2021.
- Other operating income increased by 20% during the period to total $73.01 million compared to $61 million last year.
Total expenses for the period increased by 10% moving from $942.25 million in 2021 to $1.10 billion in 2022. For the third quarter, total expenses amounted to $382.10 million, an 8% increase when compared to $352.23 million in 2021. Of this:
Staff costs increased 15% to total $502.33 million for the period relative to $436.14 million in 2021. This was due to a 6% increase in salaries.as per JSE.
- Depreciation and amortization totaled $59.94 million for the period relative to $49.24 million in 2021, a 22% rise.
- Additionally, professional fees amounted to $101.74 million (2021: $84.41 million), a 21% increase year over year.
- Property expenses climbed 13% from $193.61 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2021, to $219.52 million during the period under review. JSE noted that, “this is due to increases in maintenance and utilities.”
- Other operating expenses rose 18% to $55.03 million from $46.58 million recorded the previous year.
- Advertising and promotion increased from $53.79 million in 2021 to $85.94 million in 2022.
- Securities commission fees posted a 12% increase for the period to close at $58.79 million (2021: $52.32 million).
- E-campus expenses amounted to $24.69 million (2021: $25.40 million).
Investment income fell 70% to $9.05 million versus $30.02 million in 2021.
Profit before tax totaled $624.46 million compared to $561.12 million the year prior. While for the quarter, profit before tax closed at $206.06 million (2021: $279.66 million).
Tax charges for the period totaled $206.89 million (2021: $183.38 million).
As such, JSE reported a net profit of $417.57 million compared to a profit of $377.74 million reported for the prior year, a 10% increase. Net profit for the quarter amounted to $137.83 million (2021: $187.32 million).
Total comprehensive income for the period under review amounted to $389.44 million relative to $376.63 million in 2021, while for the quarter total comprehensive income amounted to $135.50 million (2021: $186.38 million).
Earnings per share for the quarter totalled $0.20 compared to $0.27 in 2021, while for the nine months ended September 30, 2022, EPS was $0.59 compared to $0.54 in 2021. Twelve months trailing EPS amounted to $0.77. The numbers of shares used in the calculations are 701,250,000 units. JSE last traded on November 11, 2022 at $15.15 with a corresponding P/E of 19.79 times.
Balance Sheet at a glance:
As at September 30, 2022, assets totalled $2.41 billion, an 11% increase when compared with its balance of $2.16 billion a year prior. The increase was due to a 23% increase in ‘Government Securities Purchased Under Resales Agreements’ from $493.74 million as at September 30, 2021 to $606.53 million in 2022. Property, Plant & Equipment also contributed to the upward movement to close at $910.90 million compared to $703.02 million in 2021.
Shareholders’ Equity amounted to $1.98 billion (2021: $1.72 billion), resulting in a book value per share of $2.82 (2021: $2.45).
Analyst Certification – The views expressed in this research report accurately reflect the personal views of Mayberry Investments Limited Research Department about those issuer (s) or securities as at the date of this report. Each research analyst (s) also certify that no part of their compensation was, is, or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendation(s) or view (s) expressed by that research analyst in this research report.
Company Disclosure – The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, however its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Mayberry may effect transactions or have positions in securities mentioned herein. In addition, employees of Mayberry may have positions and effect transactions in the securities mentioned herein.