March 15, 2021
Sagicor Group Jamaica (SJ), for the year ended December 31, 2020 reported a 9% decrease in total revenues to $84.57 billion from $92.60 billion in 2019, while for the fourth quarter total revenues declined 3% to total $24.33 billion compared to $25.09 billion in 2019. Total revenue for the year end was broken down as follows:
- Net premium revenue increased by 8% to a total of $50.38 billion compared to $46.51 billion last year.
- Net investment income fell to $18.25 billion from $26.91 billion in 2019, a 32% decrease.
- Fees and other revenue decreased 3% to $13.51 billion from $13.90 billion in 2019, “primarily from the slowing of consumer activity and the decline in corporate financing deals closed during the period,” as per SJ.
- Hotel revenue decreased by 54% to $2.43 billion from $5.27 billion in 2019.
Benefits and expenses totalled $63.11 billion for the period, a decline of 12% from $71.80 billion, while for the fourth quarter benefits and expenses rose 3% to close at $18.66 billion relative to $18.14 billion in 2019. Of this:
- Commission and related expenses increased by 14% to $6.92 billion from $6.09 billion in 2019.
- Administration expenses increased by 8% to $21.79 billion (2019: $20.16 billion).
- Net movement in actuarial liabilities moved to a gain of $4.06 billion in 2020 from a loss of $8.95 billion for the year ended December 31, 2019.
- Net insurance benefits incurred amounted to $32.75 billion versus $29.11 billion that was recorded last year.
- Other taxes and levies totalled $746.83 million, a 16% increase relative to $643.54 million recorded in the prior year.
- Depreciation and Amortization amounted to $2.87 billion (2019: $2.71 billion)
- Hotel Expenses fell by 50% to $2.09 billion from the $4.14 billion recorded in 2019.
Share of profit from joint venture amounted to $310.86 million relative to a share of profit of $14.62 million booked a year earlier. Share of loss from associate for the period totalled $5.47 billion compared to a loss of $98.66 million last year. The Company reported Impairment loss in associate, Impairment loss in goodwill, Loss on dilution of interest in associate which amounted to $4.51 billion, $1.23 billion, and $391.30 million, respectively in 2020 versus nil in 2019. Management noted that, “The Group recognized impairment charges of $5.74 billion, resulting from the lower valuations of our investments in hotel operations, a direct result of the uncertainty surrounding the expected impact of travel restrictions caused by COVID-19.”
As such, Profit before Taxation amounted to $10.18 billion, a 51% decrease when compared to the $20.72 billion booked in 2019.
Investment and corporation taxes of $5.69 billion was reported for the period (2019: $5.25 billion), as such net profit for the year totalled $4.48 billion (2019: $15.46 billion), a 71% decrease. Loss for the quarter amounted to $518 million relative to net profit of $4.16 billion in 2019.
Net profit attributable to shareholders for the period amounted to $13.78 billion relative to $15.65 billion the prior year’s period. As per the audited results, non- controlling interest as at December 31, 2020 amounted to a loss of $9.30 billion compared to a loss of $186.68 million as at December 31, 2019. For the quarter, net profit attributable to shareholders reduced 28% to $3.45 billion (2019: $4.79 billion).
Total comprehensive income for the period under review closed at $9.41 billion (2019: $22.79 billion). Total comprehensive income for the quarter amounted to $2.88 billion (2019: $3.46 billion)
Earnings per share for the quarter amounted to $0.88 (2019: $1.23), while EPS for the period totalled $3.53 relative an EPS of $4.01 in 2019. The total number of shares used in the calculations amounted to 3,905,634,918 units. SJ’s stock last traded on March 12, 2021 at $47.68 with a corresponding P/E of 13.51 times.
Balance Sheet at a glance:
Total Assets increased by 7% or $30.70 billion to close at $490.69 billion as at December 31, 2020 from $460 billion the year prior. The movement was mainly attributable to a $25.01 billion increase in ‘Financial investments’ which closed at $213.72 billion (2019: $188.71 billion).
Equity attributable to stockholders of the company as at December 31, 2020 stood at $106.38 billion (2019: $91.25 billion) resulting in book value per share of $27.24 (2019: $23.36).
Analyst Certification -The views expressed in this research report accurately reflect the personal views of Mayberry Investments Limited Research Department about those issuer (s) or securities as at the date of this report. Each research analyst (s) also certify that no part of their compensation was, is, or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendation (s) or view (s) expressed by that research analyst in this research report.
Company Disclosure -The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, however its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Mayberry may effect transactions or have positions in securities mentioned herein. In addition, employees of Mayberry may have positions and effect transactions in the securities mentioned herein.