Date: May 13, 2019
Sagicor Group Jamaica Limited (SJ) for the three months ended March 31, 2019, Total revenues increased by 27% to $20.12 billion from $15.82 billion in 2018, and was broken down as follows:
- Net investment income increased to $5.28 billion from $4.10 billion in 2018. SJ noted that this was “ influenced predominantly by higher equity prices on the Jamaica Stock Exchange and the fact that the 2018 numbers included much higher impairment charges”
- Fees and other revenue increased 27% to $3.01 billion (2018: $2.38 billion). Management noted this was primarily due to “ongoing growth of the Payments business in Sagicor Bank and a large corporate financing transaction in Sagicor Investments during the quarter.”
- Net premium revenue increased by 11% to a total of $10.36 billion from $9.34 billion in 2018.
- Hotel revenue of $1.47 billion was booked for the period relative to nil the prior year. The company noted, “ Share of Revenue from hotels (Jewel Grande Montego Bay) was include at $1.47 billion with the consolidation of XFund.”
Benefits and expenses totaled $16.45 billion for the period, increasing year over year by 31% from $12.54 billion. This increase was mainly driven by;
- A 5% increase in net insurance benefits incurred to $6.49 billion (2018: $6.19 billion), “due to portfolio growth and a higher claims experience for both Life and Death claims”.
- Administration expenses for the period amounted to $4.76 billion compared to $4.34 billion in the prior year, a 10% increase. Management noted, “There was a 6% increase when the new subsidiaries are excluded reflecting increments to Salaries and higher Payments related costs.”
- Commission and related expenses rose by 16% to close at $1.46 billion up from the $1.26 billion posted in 2018.
- Amortization of intangible assets amounted to $183.81million (2018: $170.55 million), a 8% increase.
- Asset tax moved up by 1% to close at $641.49 million in 2018 from $637.80 million in 2018.
- SJ also booked Hotel expenses of $964.80 million relative to nil the prior year.
Share of loss from joint venture amounted to $4.62 million relative to a profit of $770,000 the prior year. Share of profit from associates totaled $856.98 million relative to $141.85 million last year. According to SJ, “share of profit from Associate represents the 15% take-up of Playa Hotel & Resorts’ earnings for Q1 before minority interests, which reflect a good performance during the peak winter season.”
Profit before taxation amounted to $4.53 billion, a 32% gain when compared to the $3.43 billion booked in 2018.
After investment and corporation taxes of $1.03 million (2018: $786.46 million), net profit amounted to $3.50 billion (2018: $2.64 billion), an increase of 33%.
Profit attributable to shareholders amounted to $2.70 billion relative to $2.64 billion booked in 2018. As a result, EPS for the quarter amounted to $0.69 (2018:$0.68) while the twelve-month trailing EPS totaled $ 3.66.
Balance Sheet at a glance:
Total assets increased by 14% or $51.08 billion to close at $406.32 billion as at March 31, 2019, from $355.25 billion the year prior. The main contributors to the increase in total assets were ‘Financial Investments’ amounting to $168.59 billion (2018: $139.15 billion), a 21% increase year over year and ‘Investment in associated company’ which closed at $24.83 billion compared $7.21 billion the previous year. ‘Property, Plant and Equipment’ also witnessed a 300% increase from $5.04 billion to $20.16 million.
Equity attributable to stockholders of the company as at March 31, 2019, stood at $79.49 billion (2018: $66.78 billion) resulting in book value per share of $20.35 (2018: $17.10). The number of shares used in our calculations amounted to 3,905,634,918 units. SJ’s stock price closed on May 10, 2019, at $47.11.
Analyst Certification -This research report is for information purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation. Each research analyst (s) also certify that no part of their compensation was, is, or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendation (s) or view (s) expressed by that research analyst in this research report.
Company Disclosure -The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, however its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Mayberry may effect transactions or have positions in securities mentioned herein. In addition, employees of Mayberry may have positions and effect transactions in the securities mentioned herein.