Date: August 15, 2018
Sagicor Group Jamaica Limited (SJ), for the six months ended June 30, 2018, Total Revenues increased by 7% to $32.02 billion from $30.01 billion in 2017, while for the second quarter Total Revenues improved 8% to total $16.20 billion compared to $14.93 billion in 2017.
Total revenue year to date was broken down as follows;
• Net premium revenue increased by 6% to a total of $18.45 billion compared to $17.41 billion last year.
• Net Investment Income declined to $7.83 billion from $8.64 billion in 2017, an 9% decline.
• Fees and other revenue went up 44% to $5.74 billion from $3.97 billion in 2017.
Benefits and Expenses totaled $25.63 billion for the period, inching up by 10% from $23.26 billion, while for the second quarter Benefits and Expenses were up 20% to close at $13.09 billion relative to $10.95 billion in 2017. Of this Benefits and Expenses:
• Net insurance benefits incurred increased by 20% to close at $12.70 billion (2017: $10.54 billion).
• Changes in insurance and annuity liabilities rose by 21% to total $564.30 million relative to $465.34 million in 2017.
• Administration Expenses fell from $8.93 billion in 2017 to $8.77 billion in 2017.
• Commission and related expenses grew by 10% to $2.62 billion from $2.38 billion.
• Amortization of intangible assets and Asset tax both advanced to $342.92 million ($331.13 million) and $637.69 million (2017: $616.33 million) respectively.
Share of profit from joint venture amounted to $15.57 million relative to $16.53 million a year prior. Share of profit from associate for the period totaled $223.20 million compared to $233.13 million last year. As such, Profit before Taxation amounted to $6.63 billion, a 5% reduction when compared to the $7.01 billion booked in 2017.
Investment and corporation taxes of $1.35 billion was reported for the period, a marginal decline of 0.2% which translated into a net profit of $5.28 billion (2016:$ 5.65 billion) for the six months period. In addition, profit for the quarter amounted to $2.64 billion relative to $3.06 billion in 2017.
Earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter amounted to $0.676 (2017:$ 0.783), while EPS for the period totaled $1.35 relative $1.45 in 2017. The twelve month trailing EPS amounted to $2.99. The number of shares used in our calculations amounted to 3,905,634,918 units. SJ’s stock last traded on August 14, 2018 at $37.67.
Balance Sheet at a glance:
Total Assets increased by 10% or $33.22 billion to close at $373.43 billion as at June 30, 2018 from $340.21 billion the year prior. This increase was mainly driven by the increase by Pledged Assets which went up to $73.88 billion (2017:$8.11 billion). However this was tempered by the reduction in the company’s Financial investments which declined by 26% or $54.42 billion to end the period at $158.94 billion.
Equity attributable to stockholders of the company as at June 30, 2018 stood at $68.81 billion (2017: $59.82 billion) resulting in book value per share of $17.62 (2017: $15.32).
Disclaimer: Analyst Certification -The views expressed in this research report accurately reflect the personal views of Mayberry Investments Limited Research Department about those issuer (s) or securities as at the date of this report. Each research analyst (s) also certify that no part of their compensation was, is, or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendation (s) or view (s) expressed by that research analyst in this research report.
Company Disclosure -The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, however its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Mayberry may effect transactions or have positions in securities mentioned herein. In addition, employees of Mayberry may have positions and effect transactions in the securities mentioned herein.