U.S.: Real Earnings Summary

April 11, 2018

All employees

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today that real average hourly earnings for all employees increased 0.4 percent from February to March. This result stems from a 0.3 percent increase in average hourly earnings combined with a 0.1 percent decrease in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U). Real average weekly earnings increased 0.4 percent  even as average workweek remained flat over the reported period.

Year over year, real average hourly earnings increased 0.4 percent. According to the report, “the increase in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.6 percent increase in the average  workweek resulted in a 0.9 percent increase in real average weekly earnings over this period.”

Production and nonsupervisory employees

For production and nonsupervisory employees, real average hourly earnings increased 0.3 percent from  February to March. Unlike the figures reported for all employees, a higher proportion of the increase in real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees generated from a decrease in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers(CPI-W). Average hourly earnings increased by 0.2 percent while the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers(CPI-W) decrease by 0.2 percent.

According to the Bureau, “real average weekly earnings were unchanged over the month due to the increase in real average hourly earnings being offset by a 0.3 percent decrease in average weekly hours.”

Year over year, the real average hourly earnings were unchanged. No change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.3 percent increase in the average workweek resulted in a 0.3 percent increase in real average weekly earnings over this period.

 

The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, however its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Mayberry may effect transactions or have positions in securities mentioned herein. In addition, employees of Mayberry may have positions and effect transactions in the securities mentioned herein.

 

 

2018-04-11T15:20:09+00:00