March 2, 2023
Jamaica Stock Exchange Limited (JSE)
For the twelve months ended December 31, 2022:-
Jamaica Stock Exchange Group (JSE) for the twelve months ended December 31, 2022 recorded total revenue of $2.16 billion, a 12% increase when compared to the $1.93 million booked the prior year, management noted, Of this:
- Cess income increase by 24% from $469.47 million booked for the period ended December 2021 to $477.5 million recorded for the period under review.
- Fee income grew by 15% to $1.54 billion to close the year under review, up from $1.34 billion reported for the 2021.
- E-campus income increased marginally by 0.13% to $35.01 million relative to $34.96 million documented in the prior comparable period.
- Other operating income rose 25% during the period to total $104.81 million compared to $83.52 million booked in the same period last year.
Total expenses for the twelve months increased by 16% moving from $1.24 billion recorded as at December 2021 to $1.43 billion in the twelve months ended December 31, 2022. Of this:
- Staff cost increased 12% to total $632.49 million for the period under review (2021: $566.3 million).
- Depreciation and amortization totalled $88.03 million, relative to $70.2 million recorded in the prior comparable period.
- Professional fees amounted to $98.74 million (2021: $84.8 million).
- Property expenses climbed 14% to $305.47 million (2021: $269 million) for the period under review.
- Other operating expenses increased by 18% to $74.04 million (2021: $62.76 million).
- Advertising and promotion went up by 59% from $78.85 million in 2021 to $125.61 million in the period under review.
- Securities commission fees posted a 0.5% increase to close at $68.57 million (2021: $68.24 million).
- E-campus expense decreased by 7% to $33.35 million (2021: $35.77 million).
- Investment income declined from $48.78 million recorded in December 2021 to $31.10 million as at December 2022.
- Profit before tax totalled $762.55 million compared to $740.98 million reported in the corresponding period last year. For the quarter, profit before tax closed at $138.50 million (2021: $179.86 million).
Tax charges for the period totalled $259.31 million (2021: $243.66 million). As such, JSE reported a net profit for the period of $503.24 million compared to a profit of $497.31 million in the prior comparable period, reflecting a 1.19% increase. While, for the quarter, net profit amounted to $86.08 million (2021: $119.57 million).
Total comprehensive income amounted to $636.43 million relative to $548.84 million recorded in the previous corresponding period.
Earnings per share for the twelve months totaled $0.72 (2021: $0.71). EPS, for the quarter, totaled $0.12 (2021: $0.17). The numbers of shares used in the calculations are 701,250,000 units. JSE stock price closed the trading period on March 1, 2022 at $14.60, with a corresponding P/E of 20.34 times.
Balance Sheet at a Glance:
As at December 31, 2022, total assets were $2.61 billion, a 17% increase when compared to $2.23 billion a year prior. The increase was due to a 28% increase in ‘Property, Plant and Equipment’ to $1.11 billion in 2022 from $869.98 billion booked for the prior period.
Shareholders’ Equity amounted to $2.22 billion (2021: $1.89 billion), resulting in a book value per share of $3.17 (2021: $2.70).
Analyst Certification -The views expressed in this research report accurately reflect the personal views of Mayberry Investments Limited Research Department about those issuer (s) or securities as at the date of this report. Each research analyst (s) also certify that no part of their compensation was, is, or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendation(s) or view (s) expressed by that research analyst in this research report.
Company Disclosure -The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, however its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Mayberry may affect transactions or have positions in securities mentioned herein. In addition, employees of Mayberry may have positions and effect transactions in the securities mentioned herein.