October 15, 2020
Knutsford Express Services Limited (KEX)
Unaudited results for 1st Quarter ended August 31, 2020:
- Knutsford Express Services Limited (KEX), for the three months ended August 31, 2020 reported total revenue of $121.78 million, a 62% or $202.74 million decrease when compared with the $324.52 million reported for the same period in 2019. KEX stated, “this was brought on by a reduction in the frequency of trips due to travel restrictions.”
- Administrative and general expenses shrunk 45% for the quarter to total $148.22 million (2019: $267.14 million). This resulted in gross loss of $26.43 million for the quarter compared to the gross profit $57.38 million for the same period a year ago.
- Finance costs decreased to $2.96 million for the period from $6.87 million for 2019. In addition, finance income rose from $2.02 million in 2019 to $4.21 million in 2020, this represents an increase of 109%.
- As such Loss before taxation for the period amounted to $25.18 million, relative to profit before taxation of $52.53 million reported in 2019. No taxes were incurred this year as a result of the Junior Market Tax holiday. Consequently, net loss amounted to $25.18 million relative to net profit after tax last year of $47.78 million.
- Loss per share (LPS) for the quarter amounted to $0.05 (2019: EPS of $0.10). The twelve-month trailing LPS amounted to $0.08. The number of shares used in our calculations is 500,000,015. Notably, KEX’s stock price closed the trading period on October 14, 2020 at a price of $6.45.
- KEX added, “This quarter was the worst in our history directly resulting from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Our swift and decisive response significantly reduced the drain on our cash resources placing us on a path to return to profitability.”
Balance Sheet at a Glance:
- As at August 31, 2020, assets totaled $1.08 billion, $57 million less than the $1.14 billion recorded last year. The increase in total assets was largely attributable to increases in ‘Property, plant and equipment’ and ‘Rights of use asset’ which closed at $857.08 million (2019: $724.56 million) and $9.31 million (2019: nil), respectively.
- Shareholder’s equity closed at $744.69 million (2019: $827.41 million). As such, the book value per share was $1.49 (2019: $1.65).
Analyst Certification -The views expressed in this research report accurately reflect the personal views of Mayberry Investments Limited Research Department about those issuer (s) or securities as at the date of this report. Each research analyst (s) also certify that no part of their compensation was, is, or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendation(s) or view (s) expressed by that research analyst in this research report.
Company Disclosure -The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, however its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Mayberry may effect transactions or have positions in securities mentioned herein. In addition, employees of Mayberry may have positions and effect transactions in the securities mentioned herein.