August 15, 2022
For the six months ended June 30, 2022:
Sagicor Group Jamaica Limited (SJ) for the six months ended June 30, 2022, reported a decrease in total revenues by 3% to $46.88 billion from $48.19 billion in 2021. Total revenue is broken down as follows:
- Net premium revenue rose by 4% to close at $26.66 billion compared to $25.51 billion documented 2021.
- Net investment income increased to $10.78 billion from $9.34 billion in 2021.
- Realized capital loss closed at $2.22 billion versus 2021’s gain of $3.79 billion.
- Credit losses on loans and investments securities amounted to $210.32 million, when compared to 2021’s $219.31 million.
- Fees and other income increased 5% to $8.33 billion (2021: $7.91 billion).
- Hotel revenue of $3.55 billion was booked for the period relative to $1.87 billion for the prior year.
Benefits and expenses totalled $38.39 billion for the period, a year over year decrease of 7% from $41.19 billion. The movement in benefits and expenses was mainly driven by:
- Administration expenses for the period amounted to $13.82 billion compared to $11.52 billion in the prior year, a 20% increase.
- A 13% increase in net insurance benefits incurred to $18.71 billion (2021: $16.57 billion).
- Commission and related expenses rose by 4% to close at $3.72 billion up from the $3.57 billion posted in 2021.
- Depreciation and amortization amounted to $1.42 billion (2021: $1.34 billion), a 6% increase.
- Other taxes and levies moved up by 8% to close at $882.6 million in 2022 from $820.61 million in 2021.
- SJ also booked hotel expenses, which went up by 76% to close at $2.53 billion relative to $1.43 billion booked the prior year.
- Net movement in actuarial liabilities amounted to $2.68 billion relative to an actuarial benefit of $5.95 billion booked in 2021.
Share of profit from joint venture amounted to $343.69 million relative to a profit of $496.19 million the prior year.
Profit before taxation amounted to $8.83 billion, a 21% increase when compared to the $7.27 billion booked in 2021.
After taxes of $2.61 billion (2021: $1.98 billion), net profit amounted to $6.22 billion (2021: $5.29 billion), an increase of 18%. For the quarter, net profit closed at $2.20 billion (2021: $2.39 billion).
Profit attributable to shareholders amounted to $6.04 billion relative to $4.85 billion booked in 2021. Net profit attributable to shareholders for the quarter closed at $2.22 billion (2021: $1.94 billion). As a result, EPS for the six months amounted to $1.55 (2021: $1.24), for the quarter, EPS amounted to $0.57 (2021: $0.50). While the twelve-month trailing EPS totalled $4.76. The number of shares used in our calculations amounted to 3,905,634,918 units. SJ’s stock price closed on August 12, 2022, at $54.50 with a corresponding P/E of 11.45 times.
Management advised that “Net premium income of $26.66 billion grew by 4% over the prior year, as a result of strong new business sales and policy retention. Net investment income amounted to $10.78 billion, a 15% increase over the prior year, emanating from growth in the Group’s interest-earning asset base. Fees and other income were aided by an increase in corporate and domestic spending as well as other commercial banking activities, ending 5% higher than the prior year”
Management also stated that, “The Group’s recent acquisition, Alliance Financial Services Limited, has had a successful return to full operation and is showing encouraging revenue growth in its remittance and cambio segments.”
Balance Sheet at a glance:
Total assets increased by 1% or $6.44 billion to close at $513.97 billion as at June 30, 2022, from $507.53 billion the year prior. The main contributors to the increase in total assets were ‘Deferred income taxes’, ‘Loans & Leases after Allowance for Credit Losses’ and ‘Other Assets’ which closed at $4.83 billion (2021: $1.053 billion), $96.12 billion (2021:$89.61 billion) and $27.33 billion (2021: $23.09 billion), respectively.
Equity attributable to stockholders of the company as at June 30, 2022, stood at $104.49 billion (2021: $106.75 billion) resulting in book value per share of $26.75 (2021: $27.33).
Analyst Certification -The views expressed in this research report accurately reflect the personal views of Mayberry Investments Limited Research Department about those issuer (s) or securities as at the date of this report. Each research analyst (s) also certify that no part of their compensation was, is, or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendation(s) or view (s) expressed by that research analyst in this research report.
Company Disclosure -The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, however its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Mayberry may affect transactions or have positions in securities mentioned herein. In addition, employees of Mayberry may have positions and effect transactions in the securities mentioned herein.