Jamaica Stock Exchange Limited (JSE), for the year ended December 31, 2017, recorded total revenue of $991.15 million, a 14% increase when compared to the $865.78 million booked the prior year. Total revenue for the quarter amounted to $295.68 million (2016: $171.59 million). Of this:
- Cess income declined by 13% to $285.78 million relative to $330.23 million the previous year.
- Fee income grew by 34% to $611.56 million to close the year, compared to $457.52 million in 2016.
- E-campus showed an increase of 12% to $15.92 million, relative to $14.22 million in 2016.
- Other operating income rose 22% during the period to total $77.89 million compared to $63.82 million in 2016.
Total expenses for the year increased by $85.37 million or 15% moving from $582.85 million in 2016 to $668.22 million in 2017. Of this:
- Staff cost increased 6% to total $289.49 million for the period (2016: $273.44 million).
- Depreciation and amortization totalled $37.39 million for the year relative to $25.78 million in 2016.
- Professional fees amounted to $52.47 million (2016: $45.19 million) a 16% increase year over year.
- Property expenses climbed $24.14 million to $119.34 million (2016: $95.20 million) during the year under review.
- Other operating expenses grew by 30% to $48.31 million from $37.17 million the previous year.
- Advertising and promotion was up by 26% from $48.49 million in 2016 to $61.19 million.
- Securities commission fees posted an 11% decline year over year to close at $40.39 million (2016: $45.62 million).
Investment income fell to $16.32 million (2016: $51.81 million) for the year end. Finance cost for the year amounted to $1.20 million compared to nil in 2016.
Profit before tax totalled $338.05 million compared to $334.74 million the year prior. Tax charges for the year totalled $117.38 million (2016: $111.15 million).
Consequently, JSE reported a net profit of $220.67 million compared to a profit of $223.59 million in the prior year, a 1% decline year over year. Net profit for the quarter amounted to $71.49 million (2016: $21.73 million).
Total comprehensive income was for the year amounted to $242.80 million relative to $351.37 million in 2016.
Earnings per share for the quarter totalled $0.10 compared to $0.03 in 2016. EPS for the year ended December 31, 2017 was $0.31 compared to $0.32 in 2016. The numbers of shares used in the calculations are 701,250,000.00 units. JSE stock price closed the trading period on February 27, 2018 at $6.45.
Balance Sheet at a glance:-
As at December 31, 2017, assets totaled $818.74 million, a 10% increase when compared with its balance of $741.15 million a year prior. The increase was due to a 29% increase in Property, Plant & Equipment’ from $240.05 million to $309.51 million.
Shareholders’ Equity amounted to $643.90 million (2016: $593.41 million), resulting in a book value per share of $0.92 (2016: $0.85).
Analyst Certification -This research report is for information purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation. Each research analyst (s) also certify that no part of their compensation was, is, or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendation (s) or view (s) expressed by that research analyst in this research report.
Company Disclosure -The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, however its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Mayberry may effect transactions or have positions in securities mentioned herein. In addition, employees of Mayberry may have positions and effect transactions in the securities mentioned herein.